Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A week of firsts

So, as the actual beginning of student teaching draws closer, my Pinterest boards have been filling up with sandwichless lunch ideas.  Since I'm working all this week through lunch time, I figured it would be a great time to test out some new lunch recipes.  My next few blog posts are going to be centered around my new lunch recipes and whether or not I think they would actually be good for taking to school!

I decided I would start off with some easy snack ideas.  My first recipe to conquer was baked apple chips.

Ingredients:
4 fresh apples, sliced to about a 1/4 inch thick
Parchment paper
A mixture of sugar and cinnamon

Directions:
So, first things first, you need to slice the apples pretty thin.  If you have a mandoline, this is the perfect time to break it out! While you're slicing, let your oven preheat to 225.

How cute is my new paring knife???
Lay out your parchment paper on a a few baking sheets - I used three total.  Lay the apple slices down.  Do not let them overlap!

Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each slice.


Bake in the oven for one hour.  Take the slices out, and flip them over.  Again sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on them.  They should be starting to curl at the edges.  Bake for one more hour.


Last step is to let them cool, and then dig in!

My rating:
I would give these apple chips a 4/5.  They are super delicious, but I wish they took a little bit less time and got a bit crispier.  I think next time, I may turn the heat up just a little bit, to see if that might make them crispier.  I really enjoy the flavor and the fact that they're pretty healthy for you.  These are definitely a snack I would take to school, and we have plans to make some every week.

My next adventure is with homemade potato chips!


What snacks do you take to school or work?

- Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment