|The kittens were a great help throughout the project!|
We had plans to make doors on the bottom area for the storage, but first we had to frame it out a bit more. After running to Lowe's and picking up some hardware and ply wood. We got right to work, starting with the bottom.
|Cutting notches in the bottom piece so it would fit easily.|
|Fits in perfectly!|
Once the bottom was secure, we moved on to attach the back piece. And then the sides.
|He's in most of the pictures, |
but I did alot of the work too, I promise!
We were nearing 9:30 and wanted to get this project done before bed, so we kicked it into high speed and started attaching the hinges for the doors.
Finally we were able to attach the top piece! We were nearing the end! It was a bit unfortunate however, when we realized that the doors didn't quite fit. When measuring, we didn't account for the hinges in the size and so we either needed to cut them again or start using a planer to get them down to size. Since it was about 11 last night, I knew we couldn't get the jig saw out again to cut them. I also knew that I really wanted to finish the project, so I started using the hand planer. I'm not going to lie, we probably should have just waited until today to use the jigsaw, but I'm not a patient person. Anyone who knows me, knows that if I want something, I want it right then. Which is why I have two kittens, I couldn't wait to get another one. So for the next hour, we took turns planing the doors down until they fit. We then added some knobs as well. Once the bench/table was done we decided we loved it so much, that we didn't want to leave it outside where it could get messed up. It became our new TV stand! This of course called for a bit of reorganizing and rearranging of the furniture, but we're very happy with how it turned out. Here's a look at our finished project!
We definitely plan on painting it in the future, but for now we are just in love with how it looks in our living room!